Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Authenticity and Passion

It has been very difficult for me to think about Bill without getting emotional, which explains why it took me so long to write this. Reading all the wonderful tributes here made me miss Bill even more.

From the first moment that Bill stood on the stage during Communications Camp last August (2008), I have been his fan. Since then, I learned SO MUCH about being authentic and passionate in my communications. My only regret is not working with Bill more during the semester.

I still remember the last time I spoke with Bill, walking back to Haas from the Faculty Lunches. We spoke about my thoughts on his class and ways that he could improve it. He also told me that not only should our communications be filled with passion, we should also pursue things that we believe in, and not let excuses get in the way. In the end, he added that he was very sad not to be around Haas to hold special seminars and teach us throughout the Fall and Spring Semesters like he always had. After encouraging me to apply to be his GSI next fall, we parted ways.

Little did I expect that was the last time I would talk to Bill one-on-one. Little did I know that the inspiring advice he gave me was his last. And little did I know I would never be able to learn more from him by being his GSI.

Bill's passing is a great loss to his friends, family, and the Haas community. But even though he is no longer with us, his teachings and his life stories will live on in all of us and continue to motivate, inspire, and support all who have been lucky enough to have known him.

Bill, even though you're gone, I am heartened to know that you stayed true to who you are and what you believed in all the way to the end. That is what authenticity is all about.

I will truly miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment