Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thank you Bill

On behalf of Amaris White, Haas undergrad 2009:
My thoughts go to Bill's family.

In my four years at Cal, Bill was by far my favorite teacher. I remember taking his Business Communication class the summer I entered Haas, and within moments I decided it was just my luck to be placed in a class with someone so overtly liberal. I assumed I would find the class pointless and frustrating with his political comments, but instead found myself learning so much I enrolled in Bill's Communication for Leaders course a year later.

I openly challenged Bill in class, which he greatly encouraged. Although I doubt we agreed on anything politically, I always enjoyed our political conversations in class and during office hours. I hold such great respect for him. I've spent the past year in China and now regret not exchanging more emails with him. He wrote about his work in Madagascar with such ambition and motivation; I knew he was going to do great things and make real changes. I honestly cannot think of anyone who cared more about each and every student. He ended each course letting us know he was always available for advice -- and because of the value he placed on authenticity in speaking, I knew he meant every word.

He was truly an inspiration, and his memory will live through the many people he touched in his life and career.

No comments:

Post a Comment