Saturday, January 17, 2009

Feeding my body and my mind

Dear Bill, my teacher and mentor,

When I read of your passing I was so shocked, the world seemed muted. I felt like thick gauze was in my ears and covering my eyes - the same feeling I get when I leave a rock concert... and I know you know this feeling because you used to manage rock bands. Over time, the gauze feeling has gone, but I am still saddened. The world is a duller without you.

Because you are such a foodie, I wanted to thank you for the food you've given me over the past 2 years. I had my fair share of meals with you - pizza, burgers, breakfast, Ethiopian, Thai, and Indian - but the food I could never get enough of was for my mind. As your student, I will take the following Ghandhi quote with me forever - "Be the change you want to see in the world." As your GSI, I will never forget your stamina. We had that one five-hour meeting to tear your syllabus apart and build it back nearly the same as it was, and it seemed like your energy never flagged, even though by hour 3 I was already cross-eyed. And as your mentee, I will never forget your honesty. At 59, you lived your passions. It is sad, but I could not have imagined a more pure way for you to pass. Doing what you love. I hope got to see the Rosy Periwinkle. In fact, I hope I get to see it one day.

The world may be a bit duller, but your light will stay strong with me.

With much love,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment