Monday, January 5, 2009

Remembering Bill

I was lying on the couch late at night just before New Years when I got the email about Bill. I realized I was one of the first to hear about this tragedy, and after absorbing what felt like a full body blow, I took the unenviable iniative I felt I must to communicate the news to the Haas community, and especially to Bill's GSIs. I heard back from many people within hours, even though most are scattered across the globe far from internet access. Nobody could have prepared themselves for this.

Since I emailed the GSIs, I've been included on their "Reply All" communication, and I have to say I am blown away. As big of an impact that he made on so many of us as his students, the bond, support, and love that he bestowed on them is truly remarkable. It only leaves me wanting to know more about him, and longing to feel that way about a mentor and a group of friends.

I also went back and re-read the Haas announcement about Bill's trip to Madegascar. What a loss for them as well. Bill undetook such an incredible project, truly in the spirit of changing the world. I hope that in the many ways we remember Bill, we can ensure that his mission there lives on. If it was important enough to Bill, it should be important enough for the rest of us.

Finally, Bill gave us all a gift, which for most of us, consisted only of five short hours of inspiration. After we pause to remember what Bill gave us, I hope that we will find a way to carry on his teachings at Haas. I think collectively, we have the will and the means to continue the class. Although we'll never do him justice, he'd be proud of us for trying to reach the mountaintop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment